- Sharing racist/sexist, and just generally inappropriate jokes with my co-workers without having to worry about somebody reporting me to the Dean's office.
- Sitting up at night waiting for armadillos who apparently got tipped off that I was waiting for them. Stupid armadillos.
- Riding around on the grey mare.
- Spanglish/charades-themed telephone conversations with Antonio as we attempt to get a message across.
- Drinking beer pretty much whenever I feel like it.
- Getting sent to the convenience store just up the road a 9:00 on a Wednesday evening for Blue Bell, Powerade, Copenhagen, and cokes.
- Waking up at 3:00 AM to a large paw...or doggie tongue...to the face. Ok, maybe I won't miss these events so much, but I will miss River.
- Watching River & Brooke's puppies grow up.
- Floating around in the pool.
- Having River attempt to board my pool floatie if I don't get off of it to retrieve his red ball from the bottom of the pool after he drops it there for the 30th time in an afternoon.
- Watching River do his happy dance when I get the pool skimmer net to retrieve his red ball from the bottom of the pool if I don't happen to be in the water.
- Taking Oreos to Bernice the Brahman heifer.
- Oscar the flunk-out cutting horse prancing along behind me when I run in the horse pasture.
- Stopping at the convenience store by work every morning before 6:00 AM for coffee...it's quite a show in there!
- Actually spending time with people that I like with no PC crap to worry about.
Sunday, August 14, 2011
Here are the things I will miss when I have to head back down to school in a few days, in no particular order:
Posted by Yondering at 7:01 AM
Sunday, August 7, 2011
I like to run. I never used to work out much because I actually worked, so I stayed pretty fit without really putting any effort into it. Now that I'm spending 90% of my time either in a classroom or studying at home, I have to work out. Not only do I feel better physically, it helps keep my temper under control.
I've been running quite a bit lately, I decided that I wanted to step things up a little since I am getting older and I think it will be easier to stay fit than to let myself go now and work my way back into it later...when I'm even older... Yesterday I ran my first 5k race just to change things up a little. I don't run for the sake of training for anything in particular, I just want to stay sane and capable of walking up the stairs without taking a break, so I hadn't done any races before. I don't consider running a social event, I run for myself. Plus, I have a nasty competitive streak, so it's usually better if I run by myself.
Lately my workouts have been slower and shorter than normal. It's ridiculously hot outside, I'm working 50+ hours a week, blah, blah, whine, whine... I started a new training program with some sprint intervals to try to step my speed up and get off of the fitness plateau I've been stuck on. I suck at sprints. They're hard. My legs hurt. I get out of breath. My underwear ride up. I caught myself today running the most ridiculous line of whiny crap through my head. It was pathetic. I know it'll happen again, but I'm going to make a conscious effort to cut it off as soon as it starts. I can't stand people who whine and make excuses, so I guess I should try to stop being one.